Press Release from the Scottish Chiropractic Association
School Sports Day: Mums and Dads Races Can Damage Your Health !
Every year, over-enthusiastic mums and dads injure themselves as they race to impress at school sports days. President of the Scottish Chiropractic Association, Dr Ross McDonald (Chiropractor) says: “We all know parents who have overdone it at the school sports day. I’ve come across parents with broken limbs, pulled muscles and painful backs who have just gone a bit too far, without preparing properly, in their attempts to cross the finishing line first. Injury can be avoided if parents take sensible precautions.”
To reduce the risk of injury, the Scottish Chiropractic Association recommends that parents should:
- Remember that winning isn’t everything – it’s the taking part that counts!
- Know your limits and be a good example to your child by joining in without injury
- Warm up and stretch properly
- Ensure that you have the right shoes on
- Check the running course for evenness – a lumpy track can be very bad for spinal impact and for trip hazards
- Keep hydrated
- Seek advice on your posture and running technique from a Scottish Chiropractic Association member
- Have regular spinal checks and seek spinal maintenance advice from an SCA member
- If you experience pain, stop running immediately and seek advice.
Chiropractic care has been practised in
For more information, please contact:
Chiropractic is a primary health-care profession that specialises in the diagnosis, treatment and overall management of conditions that are due to problems with the joints, ligaments, tendons and nerves of the body, particularly those of the spine. Chiropractors focus on the relationship between the structure and function of the human body, primarily coordinated by the nervous system. Treatment consists of a wide range of techniques designed to improve the function of the nervous system, relieving pain and muscle spasm and improving overall health.
Scottish Chiropractic Association www.sca-chiropractic.org
Registered office: 0141 404 0260
SCA President: Dr Ross McDonald (Chiropractor), Discover Chiropractic,