The first chiropractor in Scotland was practicing in Edinburgh in 1913. More chiropractors came to Scotland after graduating from Palmer College of Chiropractic in the USA, and by 1939 there were reputedly twenty chiropractors in Scotland. Unfortunately during the next twenty years there was a great decline in numbers, and by 1960 there was only one remaining in practice. Several were killed in World War II, one in the blitz in Glasgow, others died or retired, resulting in Dr Leslie Wight becoming the sole chiropractor north of Chester.
In 1962 Dr Leslie Wight was joined by his son Stuart and then six years later his other son, Graeme, was to join the profession. In 1966 the Anglo-European College of Chiropractic was inaugurated and despite overwhelming adversity survived to have a first graduating class of two. During the 1970’s more chiropractors came to practice in Scotland and clinics were started in Saltcoats and Aberdeen.
Scottish chiropractors began to meet regularly, and although most were members of the British Chiropractic Association, they recognised the need for a local organization, and in 1979 the Scottish Chiropractic Association (SCA) was formed. The SCA has grown rapidly and there are now 60 members practising in Scotland and 140 associate members located in England, Wales, Northern Ireland and various other countries around the world.